Guide Teams to Excel
Virtually every manager proclaims the importance of teamwork, yet most companies apply people-management practices that are toxic to teams. A surprising number of companies apply forced performance rankings, fire the bottom 10% of employees each year, encourage and collect anonymous feedback, and provide only zero-sum opportunities for advancement.
At SWA, we help clients dismantle the obstacles to effective teams and establish conditions conducive to team excellence. We guide leaders to:
- Unite their teams. If a team is to operate as a unit, the team will perform best if members bond personally.
- Elevate team results over individual goals. Individual goals are important, but at critical times, a team’s success depends on individuals subordinating their interests for the needs of the team.
- Accelerate learning. On a collaborative five-member team, a person can learn five times faster than an individual working alone.
- Facilitate peer support to boost individual results. Individually, a team member may avoid a difficult or unpleasant task such as cold-calling. But drawing on the support of peers, even an ordinary team member can overcome his/her fears and learn to perform seemingly impossible tasks effectively.
- Provide inspiring feedback. Open, positive, and constructive feedback inspires people and strengthens teams. Negative feedback, however “honest,” produces defensiveness and retaliation. Helping leaders guide teams effectively boosts client performance, improves the work environment, and brings us, at SWA, immense satisfaction.
It may sound cliché, but we help clients develop teams so the whole can be greater than the sum of parts.